Kenya telcom companies to face fines
Posted Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 02:00
Mobile telephone operators face more penalties in the new year arising from using more than six million unregistered lines, some of which have been used for criminal activities. The penalties are contained in new regulations set to be gazetted any time from Tuesday.
Information and Communications Permanent Secretary, Bitange Ndemo, said the rules could be published as early as Friday, prescribing the liabilities that would befall the four operators — Safaricom, Airtel, Orange and yU Mobile — if fraud, extortion, kidnappings and hate speech are traced back to their customers’ unregistered lines.
“Mobile operators will bear the intermediary liability in that they become an accomplice by failure to register the SIM card or cards,” Dr Ndemo told the Business Daily in a telephone interview. The Communications Commission of Kenya had earlier announced that the deadline for blocking unregistered lines would not be extended from last night when the world ushered in the New Year. The unregistered lines, which would be deactivated after 90 days if the owners do not come forward, represent about a fifth of the 30 million lines in use in Kenya.