Pan-fried vegetable pizza
Posted Saturday, March 12 2016 at 02:00
Normally pizza is baked in specially designed wood-fired ovens, in this modified version however, all you need to cook the pizza and its topping is a frying pan and a hot grill or oven to melt the cheese.
For your pizza topping, you may use vegetables of your choice. If you can afford it, use olive oil, if not, ordinary cooking oil will suffice.
(Makes one 20cm pizza)
21 large green peppers
1 large onion
1 handful oyster mushrooms
1 large carrot
3 large tomatoes
225g wheat flour
2½ tsp baking powder
50g or more cheese
1 level tbsp tomato paste
1 chicken stock cube
3½ tbsp Oil
1. Wash all vegetables and mushrooms and drain. Put the tomatoes in a pan of hot water for 5 minutes, then cool and remove the outer skin. Slice one of the tomatoes into medium-size slices and finely chop the other two.
2. Cut the green peppers in half, remove the seeds and membranes and chop into chunky cubes. Slice the carrot into thin slices and thickly slice the courgettes. Cut the onion into quarters and the quarters into halves, to form wedges. Roughly chop the mushrooms and grate the cheese.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil and lightly stir-fry all the vegetables and mushrooms, except the tomatoes, with ½ the chicken stock cube and a pinch of salt, if required. Do not over-cook the vegetables leave them with a bit of crunch. Cover and put aside.
4. Cook the two chopped tomatoes with the rest of the stock cube. Add the tomato paste and 1-2 tbsp of water to make a fairly thick sauce. Cover and put aside.
5. Sift the flour and season with a pinch of salt. Mix with 2 tbsp oil and 4-5 tbsp of water to form a soft dough. Knead for a short time and then roll out into a 20cm circle on a floured surface. Lightly oil a non-stick frying pan with ½ tsp oil and cook the dough until the underside browns. Turn it over and cook the other side until golden-brown.
6. Spread the top of the pizza with the tomato sauce and cover attractively with the vegetables and top with the sliced tomato. Sprinkle evenly with the grated cheese and put under a grill or in a hot oven for 4-5 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.