Spicy tomato potatoes
Posted Saturday, March 19 2016 at 02:00
This simple potato dish is delicious and very simple to prepare. It can be served with eggs as a breakfast dish or as a side dish with a main meal. If served as a breakfast dish, prepare a simple vegetable salad of grated carrot, chopped green pepper and cucumber in a dressing of your choice, to balance the meal.
Ingredients to serves 4
1 kg potatoes
1 large onion
2-3 large tomatoes
1½ tbsp tomato paste
2 large cloves garlic
1 heaped tsp garam masala
1 level tsp turmeric
1 chicken stock cube
2 tbsp oil
1-2 red chilies (optional)
1 tbsp Royco
1. Peel the potatoes, wash well and put in a sauce pan. Crumble up the stock cube and add to the potatoes with enough water to just cover them. Boil on medium heat until tender. Drain but save the water.
2. Meanwhile, slice the onion, grate the garlic and finely chop the tomatoes and chilies, if using.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and briskly fry the onion and garlic until golden. Add the turmeric and garam masala. Stir well and cook for 1 min.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and chilis if using, and cook stirring on medium heat until the tomatoes are cooked. Add the tomato paste. Mix the Royco with a little cold water, add to the tomato mixture and mix well. Add a little of the water drained from the potatoes if the mixture is too thick, but do not make the sauce watery, it should be quite thick. Simmer for 3-4 mins.
5. Add the potatoes to the tomato mixture and mix well being careful not to break them. The potatoes should be well coated by the sauce, but remain fairly dry, they should not be soaked in the sauce. Serve piping hot.