White Shoes: A fashion faux pas in waiting?
Posted Saturday, March 2 2013 at 00:00
You would think that because it is a neutral colour, it would be easy to wear white shoes. Getting it right with white shoes can be quite tricky, though. Christine W. Wanjala offers tips to help you nail the white shoe look.
White is a neutral colour, yes but it is also a very bright and prominent one. Bear this in mind when choosing white shoes to wear. For example white boots and really chunky big white shoes are a No No.They make the outfitting job more difficult and most likely will not look pretty anyway. So, whether you are going for strappy ankle killer heels or a pair of flats, the daintier the better.
• White flats and sandals are a classic casual look. The effect is a breezy, beach-side flamboyance that looks great at casual parties or around town when the heat is high. Pairing white shoes with black or gray tights makes shoes pop for a fun, retro look. Shiny white heels look great with jeans and a dressy top at cocktail parties.
• Avoid having too much going immediately after the shoe. That includes but is not limited to tassels, handkerchief hems, any embellishment on your hemline if it is a dress or cuffs if it is pants. A plain leg or plain well fitted pants would look best.
• You can wear white shoes with patterns. They complement stripes, floral, and polka dots perfectly. But you must make sure there is white on the pattern, at least a little bit.
• Make all your accessories white, or at least one other accessory white. Like a belt or a purse, or hat just so the white shoes do not look so out of place. However, remember to make sure the whites are the exact same intensity. Different shades of white on the same outfit are a fashion faux pas.
• If you have a pair of embellished white shoes, use a detail in the embellishment to get colour to wear them with. For example, if you have flats with a black bow, you can wear it with a black outfit.
• If you choose to go all white, make sure your whites are coordinated so you create a flawless line of white. Careful though as wearing all white can easily come off too matched and stiff.
• Try getting shoes in off-white, ivory, cream other shades of white instead of startling white!
How we wear them
Martha Jabo: Fashion designer, Jabo Designs
“I wear white shoes with an all-black outfit. Sometimes with a white and black outfit as long as the white part is very little. I can also try an all-white outfit sometimes.
Brenda Maraka of Maraka Creations
“I have a pair of white heels which I wear with a red dress. Sometimes I wear them with black pants. Either way I make sure I wear them on days and to places I know I won’t walk around much otherwise they become brown and dirty.”
Brenda Nambi of Bambi Fashion house
“I wear my white pumps with darker coloured clothes. However, I think you can wear them with anything as long as you know how to match. White is a neutral colour after all.”