Health & Living
Man in need of hip replacement surgery
Martin Ochom needs Shs7m to replace his hip bone. Photo by Faiswal Kasirye.
Posted Thursday, January 24 2013 at 00:00
In Summary
After Martin Ochom’s hip bone was crashed in a boda boda accident, he was left helpless and now, only a replacement that will cost Shs7m can give him hope.
Martin Ochom was born normal and healthy. But life has never been the same for the father of three children since 2009.
For three years now, his once productive life has been reduced to unbearable despair and agony, due to a nasty 2009 bodaboda accident that happened in Nakawa, Kampala.
When the motorcyclist lost control, he fell off and fractured his hip bone and stayed home for three days on self-medication.
“I didn’t know the problem was serious till I went to Mulago for an X-ray and they told me I needed a hip replacement,” the 42-year-old painfully recalls.
According to medical documents from Mulago Hospital, he was, “recommended for a hip replacement.”
Dr Moses Katafire of AAR Health Services Bugolobi who wrote a recommendation for financial assistance, says, “He got a fracture and the only way out is an operation to replace the hip bone.”
The process requires Shs7m. Shs4.5m is for purchasing a bipolar methasiis from either Europe or India, Shs2m to cover operation charges and Shs500,000 to cater for the welfare of a caretaker and himself during the period.
However, for three months, he was lying in severe pain and anguish at Mulago Hospital as he had no money to kick-start the costly process. All he was relying on were pain killers.
It is amidst this despair and misery that his relatives removed him from the hospital and resorted to home-based massage using soap and jelly for a year.
The search for funds
In 2011, without any significant improvement, he returned to Mulago Hospital where the doctors wondered how he was still surviving with a fractured hip.
Even with a clutch, he winces and gnashes his teeth in a helpless attempt to make a single step. Yet since then, he has had to force himself to walk long distances in a bid to raise funds for the operation.
He has knocked at several office doors, pleaded with individuals and so far not even a coin has come his way.
On his visit to Daily Monitor offices, he carried along a headed letter from the State Minister for Constitutional Affairs and MP for Nakawa, Fred Ruhindi, recommending him for a financial bailout.
“The MP said he would top up for me after I have raised something but I haven’t got anything up to now,” the Busia born man says tearfully.
The companies he has visited have given him a chorus reply, “We shall call you back” and, “Our budgets are closed, try next time.”



RSS