Soldado ends drought with hat-trick in Tottenham win
Posted Saturday, December 14 2013 at 02:00
The striker netted twice in the opening 16 minutes before converting a penalty 20 minutes from time after substitute Ryan Fredericks was deemed to have been fouled in the Anzhi penalty area.
London- Roberto Soldado ended his recent barren run with a hat-trick in Tottenham’s 4-1 Group K win over Anzhi Makhachkala at White Hart Lane.
The Spanish forward - a £25 million signing from Valencia - had not scored for Andre Villas-Boas’s side since the end of October, but justified his return to the first team with an eye-catching performance.
He netted twice in the opening 16 minutes before converting a penalty 20 minutes from time after substitute Ryan Fredericks was deemed to have been fouled in the Anzhi penalty area. It was Soldado’s first treble since October 23 2012 when he helped himself to three for Valencia against BATE Borisov in the Champions League.
Lewis Holtby scored Tottenham’s other goal nine minutes after the break from an Andros Townsend cross in an accomplished outing that saw the Russian side outlclassed despite Ewerton’s goal giving them hope in trailing 2-1 at half-time.
Tottenham had already finalised their place in the last 32 of the tournament.
Tyson slams current pugilists
Mike Tyson has slammed the current generation of boxers for not having the hunger to become world champions.
Tyson, who became the youngest ever heavyweight world champion at the age of 20, claims he was prepared to die in pursuit of his goal. But he believes that same desire is not in evidence today.
’I don’t think people are made out of what they used to be made out of,’ Tyson told talkSPORT. ‘When I was poor, when I was a young kid, I didn’t have any television.
‘You see people now who are broke on the welfare system, they have a television, they may even have a car and 30 years ago that was totally impossible. ‘They are not hungry. They are not willing to even attempt to die to accomplish their goals. We are in the era of entitlement. There is no desire to accomplish great things. When I was fighting, I was prepared to die to become champion.’
Tyson also revealed he will not fight against the decision to deny him entry to the UK, apparently cancelling planned appearances on stage next year. The 47-year-old had been due in London this week to promote his new autobiography, but his publishers said he had instead gone to Paris as a recent change to UK immigration laws relating to those previously sentenced to more than four years in prison barred him from entering the country.Tyson was convicted of the rape.