Education

1,800 students’ results withheld

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By Paul Tajuba

Posted  Wednesday, February 26   2014 at  02:00
SHARE THIS STORY

Kampala

The fate of 1,800 students who sat for the Uganda Certificate of Education last year, remains uncertain after the Uganda National Examinations Board (Uneb) announced yesterday their results were withheld pending investigations. The results are from 23 examination centres countrywide.

Mr Mathew Bukenya, the outgoing Uneb secretary, said the board suspected malpractices and worked in accordance with Uneb Act (Section 4(3)) to deny students their results until the ongoing investigations into the suspected malpractices are done.

“When investigations are concluded, Uneb will forward the names of the those persons believed to have abetted the malpractices to the relevant authorities for appropriate action including withdrawal of examination centre numbers,” Mr Bukenya said.

External influences
Earlier, he said the board made ‘strenuous efforts’ to control malpractices indicating that there were no leakages emanating from the body but the reported cases occurred in examination rooms. “No leakages occurred anywhere else apart from inside the examination rooms due to acts of omission or commission by invigilators, subject teachers and school heads,” he said.

Mr Bukenya said evidence from the withheld exams indicates that majority of the students got assistance, especially in science practicals from teachers, adding that police are investigating other cases while some culprits have already been convicted, although he did not name any.

When the Daily Monitor inquired about what the ministry is doing to avert the routine practice, the Education minister, Ms Jessica Alupo, referred the question to the Commissioner Secondary Education, Mr Francis Agula, who had not answered it by press time.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com