Education
Uneb withholds exam results for 28 schools
Posted Friday, February 8 2013 at 02:00
Kampala
At least 28 secondary schools may not share in celebrations of successful counterparts after their results of the just-released UCE examinations were withheld by the national examination body.
The schools whose results the Uganda National Examinations Board (Uneb) withheld include: Kinoni Community High School, Kiruhura High School and St. Michael Secondary School Wera, among others.
While handing over the results to the Minister of Education, the Uneb Executive Secretary, Mr Mathew Bukenya, said the results were withheld due to malpractice by the affected schools. He said the malpractice was not as a result of leakage of exams but rather on assistance given to the students inside the examination rooms.
Mr Bukenya cited Science Theory and Mathematics papers as the main areas in which students received the most assistance. Compared to the 1,455 results withheld last year, however, 1,127 student’s results were withheld this year. Mr Bukenya said the malpractice was rampant in non –USE private schools.
The vice
He said the malpractice in some centres is believed to have been in form of assistance availed to the students directly by the teachers through use of confidential advance information. He highlighted the tremendous decrease in malpractice tendencies and credited this to better supervision and the deterrent measures being taken by the board.
Students whose results have been withheld will have to wait for ongoing investigations to be complete after which those found guilty will have to be punished.
editorial@ug.nationmedia.com



RSS