Will the touch of woman heal Uganda's sick health sector?
Posted Sunday, May 29 2011 at 00:00
- Born on Oct. 21, 1968 in Adjumani District to a retired police officer, and a magistrate
- Holds a Master’s Degree in Pediatrics and Child Health from Makerere University and has 17 years hands-on experience in clinical practice and health sector management.
- Single mother of 1 and Pastor at Lifeline Ministry Mbuya-Kinawataka Church
- Worked as consultant Pediatrician at Arua Hospital, Jinja Hospital Medical superintendent and presently she is the Executive Director of Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital.
- Did Internship at Nsambya Hospital (July 1994-Aug. 1995) and worked there for two years.
Other sources suggest, however, that Dr Ondoa’s name could have reached State House courtesy of First Lady Janet Museveni, herself a born-again Christian, who has reportedly been impressed with the high ethics displayed by Pediatrician-cum- Pastor.
If Parliament’s Appointments Committee approves her during vetting expected later this week, Dr Ondoa will become the first female Health Minister since President Museveni took power in 1986. It remains to be seen whether the touch of woman will bring healing to the perennially sick health sector. She reserved her plan to revamp the Health Ministry until Parliament endorses her appointment.