Thirteen companies have submitted applications to government to undertake the financing and construction of the proposed Justice and Law Order Sector (Jlos) complex.
The Justice and Constitutional Affairs ministry last month opened the bidding process internationally for the $80 million (Shs212b).
On the list seen by Daily Monitor is, one local firm/consortia-Africana Finance and investments, Oubuntu consulting and Prism architects Joint venture/consortium; two from South Africa; five from China and one firm from USA, Israel, Greece and France, respectively.
The Solicitor General, Francis Atoke, said on Thursday that they are now going into the evaluation phase to select the appropriately qualified firms/consortia.
He noted that “the bidding is being carried out in the most transparent manner possible and we are handling the process carefully.”
The complex to be constructed in Naguru Police Barracks will accommodate office space for the Uganda Police Force, Prisons Services, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. It will also house office of the Judicial Service Commission and Directorate of Public Prosecutions.
The project was envisioned to bring together institutions mandated with the promotion of law and order and of the Jlos establishment under one roof to reduce operational costs.
Mr Atoke, added that the evaluation of bids will be assisted by Transactional Adviser, a firm that was hired and “this should be closing by September.”
Announcement of the best bidder is expected in early December and a contract signed at the end of the month.
The government currently spends at least Shs5 billion on renting space for the 17 institutions under JLOS.
Attempts to reach the project technical advisor, Mr Paul Gadenya, was futile by press on the progress of groundwork but he told this newspaper earlier on that they had already paid Shs5.6 billion on fencing and architectural work.