Abortion cases up at Soroti hospital
Posted Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 02:00
District officials attribute most of the cases to unprotected sex among youth.
The number of people admitted to Soroti Regional Hospital after unsafe abortions are on the rise since students broke for holidays in December, authorities at the facility have said.
A gynecologist, who preferred anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the Press, said more than 30 cases had been received.
The district health educator, Mr Martin Amodoi, said that in 2011, only five cases were recorded at the hospital. A senior nursing officer at the hospital, Ms Mary Nabwire, said the number of such cases is expected to increase before the new school term.
Ms Nabwire said the majority of those involved were teenagers. “Most of these girls try to terminate the pregnancies and then they come here with complications,” she said, adding that married women had also been admitted with complications arising from unsafe abortions.
“Others have lost their uteruses. We are losing mothers because this is a long holiday,” Ms Nabwire said.
She urged parents to keep close watch on their children.
Mr Amodoi said there were more abortions because the number of youth utilising contraceptives such as pills and condoms had declined.