Airports and tourism sites in East and Central Africa have been put on alert following international intelligence reports that terrorists are planning to strike in commemoration of one year since the al-Qaeda leader, Osama Bin Laden, was killed.
Bin Laden, the mastermind of the September 11 attack on the World Trade Centre in New York, was killed by American forces in Pakistan in May last year.
According to a document which was released by International Anti-terror Network detailing the threat risk, the mastermind of the planned attack has been identified as Jose Mario Saladin.
“According to reliable security analysts in the Central African region, during the past few weeks there is heightened threat of a terror attack in the central African region planned by several terror groups namely; al-Qaeda, Hezbollah, Boko Haram, Qods and al-shabaab, targeting western interests, especially tourist sites, airports and hotels,” the document reads.
The Boko Haram have been attacking Christians in Nigeria, while the al-Shabaab have carried out attacks in Kenya and Uganda, killing several people, including about 80 who died in the twin World Cup final bombings in Kampala in July 2010.
The report, however, says there are coordinated efforts by regional security services and police to locate and apprehend these terrorists and also uncover their local networks and weapon caches.
“As a result of this threat, there is heightened security alertness near airports, hotels and tourist sites in several African countries,” the report says
The police director for counter-terrorism, Mr John Ndungutse, said since July 11, 2010 “life has never been the same again”. “They will be defeated if they come.”