Army releases Rwenzururu premier
Posted Sunday, July 27 2014 at 13:19
The Court Martial yesterday released the Rwenzururu Kingdom prime minister, Mr Noah Nzaghale.
He was released on bail together with the chairman of Rwenzururu Kingdom Veterans, Mr Yolam Mulema.
They are part of the more than 200 suspects who are undergoing trial in the military court for alleged involvement in the July 5 attacks in Rwenzori sub-region which left at least 90 people dead.
They were released by the chairman of the Court Martial, Maj Gen Levi Karuhanga at Kabarole District headquarters. They had been on remand at Katojo prison on charges of murder, attempted murder and other offences under the military law.
Just in time
Mr Nzaghale was released just a day after Rwenzururu King Charles Wesley Mumbere had appointed a new acting prime minister, Mr Enock Muhindo, Mr Mumbere appointed Mr Muhindo on Wednesday but unveiled him before the press on Friday. Omusinga Mumbere said Mr Muhindo’s appointment was to ensure continuity of the kingdom’s work following the detention of Mr Nzaghale and other kingdom officials.
“Work must continue,” Mumbere told the press.
He also mandated the deputies of the ministers, who are in detention, to immediately act in the respective offices of their senior ministers.
By Wednesday, 214 people had reported themselves at the reception centres in Kasese and Bundibugyo districts to seek amnesty for participating in the attacks.
After the attacks, President Museveni announced an amnesty for attackers who would surrender and seek pardon.
Among the detained Rwenzururu Kingdom officials are minister in charge of the Bayira in eastern DR Congo, the minister for Information, Mr Eli Nyakango, kingdom spokesperson Julius Baluku and Culture minister Aganatius Katya.
King Mumbere asked the government to appoint a neutral committee to investigate the cause and establish the perpetrators of the attacks which he claimed were engineered by wrong people to undermine the kingdom.
Mr Muhindo pledged to ensure harmonious continuity of Obusinga Bwa Rwenzururu.
He also appealed to the government to dig deeper into the root causeof the Rwenzori violence and establish the true culprits.
Mr Nzghale’s lawyers yesterday said they would make more bail applications to have other suspects released from jail so that they attend trial while coming from their homes.
Mr Nzaghale and Mr Mulema will reappear in the court martial with the other suspects, who remained in jail, on August 5, 2014.
Reported by Francis Tusiime, Ruth Katusabe, Thembo Kahungu
& Morris mumbere