Baryomunsi, Onzivua trial flops
Posted Tuesday, January 29 2013 at 02:00
The case in which Mulago hospital pathologist Sylvestre Onzivua and MP Chris Baryomunsi are charged with conspiracy to commit a felony, failed to start yesterday.
The duo got in trouble over their participation in a bid to ascertain the cause of death of Butaleja Woman MP Cerinah Nebanda late last year.
Dr Onzivua is also charged with abuse of office.
Dr Baryomunsi and Dr Onzivua appeared before Buganda Road Court Chief Magistrate Sylvia Nabaggala, who adjourned the case to March 12 for a mention.
“This court cannot hear the trial of the accused persons since the investigations are still going on,” Ms Nabaggala said. The adjournment allowed the duo to get an extension of their bail.
It is alleged that on December 15 at Mulago hospital mortuary, Mr Onzivua, Dr Baryomunsi and others still at large, conspired and unlawfully obtained Nebanda’s body samples and attempted to take them to South Africa without permission.
The State claims that on the same date at Mulago hospital, Dr Onzivua, arbitrarily, obtained body samples and attempted to take them to South Africa without clearance.
Speaking to the Daily Monitor after the adjournment, Mr Innocent Balpe, the lawyer of Dr Onzivua, said the trial was meant to intimidate his client.
“I believe this case is all backed by politics and meant to waste time for the accused persons,” Mr Balpe said.
The duo last year denied the charges and were released on bail pending trial after each presented three sureties.