Skip to the navigationchannel.links.navigation.skip.label. Skip to the content. Monitor Blogs|Nation Media Group|Africa Review|The East African|Daily Nation|The Citizen|NTV|NTV Uganda|Mwananchi|Business Daily
Wednesday
May 15,  2013
  • News
  • Business
  • OpEd
  • Special Reports
  • Magazines
  • Sports
  • Other Features
  • Jobs & Tender
GO
Login
Submit
Not registered?  Click here
Forgot your password?
National |Education|Insight|World
Prosper|Commodities|Finance|Markets|Technology|Insurance|Auto
Editorial|OpEd Columnists|Commentary|Letters|Cartoon
Uganda@50|Elections|Project Success|Amin|War Memories|Obote
Full Woman|Thought and Ideas|Health & Living|Jobs and Career|Score|Life|Homes and Property|Farming
Soccer|Basketball|Boxing|Cricket|Athletics|Rugby|Golf|Tennis|Motor Sport|Other Sport|Sports Columnists|
Ask The Doctor |Dining & Recipes|Entertainment|Travel|Theatre & Cinema|Reviews & Profiles|Religion|Relationships|Fashion & Beauty
Barbs and Bouquet|Outside the Box

Editor's Choice

Click to scroll

Junior Lands Minister Idah Nantaba speaks during a committee tackling alleged illegal land evictions and trespass at Parliament yesterday. Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
Monitor Publications Ltd lawyer James Nangwala speaks to the Daily Monitor Managing Editor Don Wanyama and reporters Richard Wanambwa and Risdel Kasasira at the CIID headquarters Police interrogate Monitor journalists
Mr Nixon Ayegasire (R) speaks to Gen. Kale Kayihura during a police operation recently. IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa
Prof. Tibatemwa and Justice Bbosa share a light moment before facing the Appointments Committee at Parliament yesterday Three Muslims among those who failed Judiciary
He earns Shs120m from fish a year
Renown female artiste Iryn Namubiru, who was recently arrested in Japan for allegedly being in possession of drugs, in an earlier performance. Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her
Justice Kanyeihamba. Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells
The Kasese river that got angry
Pte Okot Odoch consults his Lawyer, Capt. Nasser Moses Drago, at a General Court Martial sitting at Bombo Health Centre yesterday. Bombo shooting suspect denied bail

National

Bombo shooting suspect has case to answer - court

Pte Patrick Okot Odoch consults his lawyers, Ms Marion Sunday Benbella (R) and Capt. Moses Nasser Drago, (C) at the General Court Martial in Bombo

Pte Patrick Okot Odoch consults his lawyers, Ms Marion Sunday Benbella (R) and Capt. Moses Nasser Drago, (C) at the General Court Martial in Bombo yesterday. PHOTO BY DAN WANDERA. 

In Summary

Pte Odoch says he fled from Bombo to Oyam because he had lost his gun, but knew nothing about the killings.

Bombo

The General Court Martial sitting at Bombo Health Centre has ruled that Pte Patrick Okot Odoch has a case to answer and directed him to defend himself against all the 15 counts brought against him. Pte Odoch was produced in the Court Martial on March 27, and charged on 15 counts, among them the murder of 10 people.

The General Court Martial chairman, Brig. Fred Tolit, in his ruling for a ‘prima facie case’ against Pte Odoch yesterday said: “Court had relied on the testimony of the 25 prosecution witnesses, including the exhibits brought before court by the State.”
“The Court holds a strong opinion that it has proved a prima facie case against Private Patrick Okot Odoch. You have to defend yourself on all the 15 counts brought against you in this honourable Court.” Brig. Tolit ruled.

Pte Odoch, who opted to defend himself on oath, told court that he was a pagan and would take the oath in the name of his ancestral spirits, though he uses the name Patrick, a request which court granted.
Pte Odoch told Court during yesterday’s cross examination by his defence lawyer, Capt. Nasser Moses Drago, that he only escaped to his home area in Oyam District on March 9 after realising that his gun had been stolen.

He argued that he ran away because the army has tough punishments for soldiers who lose guns, which he feared to face. “The experience I have in the army about the punishment one would get after losing his gun made me to escape. My body fears harsh conditions and I knew that this was what was to happen if I stayed around after losing my gun.” Mr Odoch told Court.

The accused told court that the only case he is aware of is that of losing a gun, and that many of the people who appeared in Court claiming to know him were a surprise because he was seeing them for the first time in his life.

Pte Odoch also made a contradiction regarding his uniform when he told Court that he had left his uniform at home yet he was on guard duty. He claimed that he got civilian clothes from a friend whom to help him escape to his home area in Oyam District.

Court was adjourned to today when the prosecution side starts its submissions regarding the case.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com

Back to Daily Monitor: Bombo shooting suspect has case to answer - court
  • LATEST UPDATES
  • DR Congo to build town in honour of Lumumba
  • Nigeria’s Goodluck declares emergency in states
  • Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Museveni calls for attitude change for development
  • Shs100,000 for driving while on phone
  • Bombo shooting suspect has case to answer - court
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
  • Nyombi accused of causing loss
  • New Kyambogo VC warns staff against disrespecting the IGG
Ocean Seven Kenya
  • Most Popular
  • I’ll return this week, says Gen Tinyefuza
  • Singer Namubiru’s managers struggle to get her out of jail
  • Don’t be intimidated, Justice Kanyeihamba tells journalists
  • IGP Kayihura shuffles officer mentioned in Sejusa letter to ISO
  • Minister Nantaba to cancel 500 land titles
  • UCC threatens to withdraw radio licences over Tinye
  • Bunyoro suit: Queen given ultimatum to respond
  • Donors: Fulfill 7 conditions or forget Shs700b
  • Police interrogate Monitor journalists
madhvanifoundation.com
  • In Pictures

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

Prince Wasajja, Marion say “I do”

A military parade at the swearing-in ceremony.

Uhuru’s big day

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

Making a living from Nakivubo Channel

About us9.33 KFMBusiness DirectoryTerms of UseWeb MailSubscriptionsMonitor MobileContact usAdvertise with UsSqoope-Paper RSS