National

Brig. Kayanja out of danger, hospital says

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By John Njoroge

Posted  Tuesday, February 12  2013 at  02:00

In Summary

The military man has now been moved from the Intensive Care Unit to a VIP room at city clinic.

SHARE THIS STORY

KAMPALA

Three weeks after being admitted at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Case Medical Centre, the former head of Operation Wembley, Brigadier Elly Kayanja, was yesterday reported to be “improving” and “likely to be discharged soon”.
“Brigadier Kayanja is now in relatively good health. He has been responding well to treatment,” the Case Medical Centre public relations officer, Mr Bobil Williams, said yesterday. “His kidneys are now functioning and he is now able to speak and respond to doctors,” Mr Williams disclosed.

Speculation was high at the weekend that the brigadier had passed on. By press time, Brig. Kayanja had been moved to a VIP Room from the ICU unit, where six medical specialists and two visiting doctors are attending to him around the clock. Several very high profile personalities from State House, government and the military have since visited the ailing brigadier.

Protection
When this visited, Case Medical Centre yesterday, four armed military guards had been stationed outside the rigadier’s room on the 5th Floor. Military sources have since disclosed the brigadier is now under “24-hour protection”, with up to six armed military personnel, who are rotated every eight hours.

Several other guards could be seen in and around the medical centre premises, among whom is a close relative in the military. According to military sources, he is in-charge of the brigadier’s protection. No visitors were allowed access to his room, except close family and medical personnel.

The Army Spokesperson, Col Felix Kulayigye could not be reached for official comment. Case Medical Centre yesterday declined to give details on the Brigadier’s sickness and the status of his security. “That is private,” Mr Williams said, referring this newspaper to the brigadier’s family.

Close call
Brig. Kayanja was taken to Case clinic three weeks ago after spending a few days at the Nakasero Hospital where he had been taken after collapsing at home. Sources said told the brigadier was “on the brink of death.’

jnjoroge@ug.nationmedia.com


Namuwongo Slum Children

Entering the new year with Ugandan artistes

Entering the new year with Ugandan artistes

President Museveni on four-day state visit to Russia

UYD activists arrested over Museveni’s "birthday party"