Kampala. President Museveni has directed the minister of Kampala, Ms Beti Kamya, to quickly find a win-win solution to the five-year land wrangle of the controversial Centenary Park.
This is to enable three agencies use part of the land for government projects and leave the rest to Nalongo Estates Limited.
Recently, the managing director of Nalongo Estates, Ms Sarah Kizito, had succumbed to pressure and accepted to give away two of the five acres to National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NWSC) for sewage construction and two other projects. The sewage project will cost Euros33 million (about Shs132trillion) donated by African Development Bank and Germany.
However, days after using the open space, Ms Kizito, refused to demolish the structures within the targeted area.
Following the president directive, last Friday Ms Kamya convened a crisis meeting at the park with Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), NWSC team, Kampala Metropolitan police commander Frank Mwesigwa and Ms Kizito.
“We have instructions from the president to find a win-win situation with a minimum or no loss to each party over this land. Government programmes must be allowed to progress. Each day the contractor is obstructed, government loses Shs100 million. That is why we are here to harmonise and resolve the matter once and for all,” said Ms Kamya.
Ms Kamya added that the President wanted Ms Kizito to be granted a lease because in the first five year lease she invested about Shs1.5 billion in the park.
Apart from NWSC, Uganda National Road Authority (Unra) is going to use part of the park land, demolish part of Kitgum House and part of the Electoral Commission headquarters on Jinja Road for the construction of fly over.
Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL) will also use the same land to install high voltage electricity metallic poles.
In a February meeting at State House presided over by the President, it was agreed that after apportioning the land for the three government projects, KCCA should extend Ms Kizito’s to 49 years. Her five year lease expired last year.
NWSC deputy managing director in charge of technical services, Eng Johnson Amayo, told Ms Kamya that their contractors would need to demolish four of the existing temporary structures at the Park to get enough space for construction costs are to be footed by Nalongo Estates.
After site inspection, the parties had a one hour closed meeting. Ms Kamya told journalists that it was agreed that a final meeting be held today to involve Unra and UETCL.