National

Court martial resumes, as police exhume bodies

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By  ENID NINSIIMA, RUTH KATUSABE & FELIX BASIIME

Posted  Thursday, July 24  2014 at  10:37

In Summary

While about 55 of the dead were buried by the army near Kanyamwirima Army Barracks on July 6, residents later discovered these graves in Kirumya Sub-county.

SHARE THIS STORY

KASESE- The number of people responding to the amnesty set by government after the July 5 simultaneous attacks in Kasese, Bundibugyo and Ntoroko districts has risen to 240 people.

The attacks on civilians, a police post, army barracks and a bank left over 90 people dead and several others injured.

Last week, 157 people surrendered at the reception centres set up by the local governments. The army 2nd Division spokesperson, Maj. Ronald Kakurungu on Tuesday said the army is verifying the authenticity of the returnees.

He said that 214 surrendered at the multi-purpose social hall reception centre in Kasese while 26 people at Kikyo trading center in Bundibugyo.

“We are waiting for internal affairs ministry to liaise with Amnesty Commission to see how the reporters are handled,” Major Kakurungu said.

He said out of the 21 guns lost during the attack, only 16 have been recovered.

Meanwhile, the Army General Court martial sits again in Bundibugyo district today to resume hearing of cases against 125 suspects held in the district.

The accused, who face 13 counts, were charged with murder, attempted murder and illegal possession of fire arms and ammunition.

Particulars before court state that the 125 and others still at large allegedly attacked the 39 Battalion Headquarters at Kanyamwirima in Bundibugyo district “with intent to prejudice the security of the Defence Forces by acquiring firearms”.

Court is chaired by Maj Gen Levi Karuhanga, Prosecution is led by Capt Fredrick Kangwamu while the defence counsel is Capt Ronald Iduli.

Court last week remanded all the 125 accused at the government prison at Katojo in Fort Portal pending further mention of 10 counts on July 30.

In a related development, Police have said they expect to exhume bodies of people in three mass graves in Bundibugyo District today.

“We are waiting for the experts and doctors today (Wednesday) so that we exhume the bodies tomorrow (Thursday)” said Mr Thomas Kasimo, the western region police commander yesterday.

The mass graves in Bundimulombi village, Kirumya Sub County were unearthed by the locals after the July 5 tribal clashes.

While about 55 of the dead were buried by the army near Kanyamwirima Army Barracks on July 6, residents later discovered these graves in Kirumya Sub-county.

1 | 2 Next Page»