Court rejects Kalungi’s extrajudicial statement
Posted Tuesday, October 22 2013 at 01:00
Kampala- Court yesterday rejected the confession statement made by Adam Suleiman Kalungi in connection with the death of former Woman MP for Butaleja District, Cerinah Nebanda.
Makindye Chief Magistrate Esta Nambayo held that the process of making the extrajudicial statement before then Chief Magistrate of Buganda Road Court, Silvia Nabaggala did not follow the right procedures.
“The procedure of making the confession was not proper and therefore it cannot be tendered as evidence on court record because the Assistant Inspector of Police, Ms Beata Chelimo, who took Kalungi to make the confession statement before a magistrate, first entered the chambers and spent a long time there before letting in the suspect,” she said.
Kalungi, a prime suspect and an ex-fiance to the deceased MP denied the extra-judicial statement arguing that he was forced by police officers to confess that he administered drugs to the late MP, leading to her death.
Meanwhile, prosecution yesterday closed its case after presenting 20 prosecution witnesses with the investigating officer, Mr Charles Mutungi, who said he recorded a statement from Kalungi. He testified that on December 14, 2012, the deceased MP was cited in Munyonyo with her mother in a meeting before her death.
Prosecution alleges that Mr Kalungi, along with his co-accused, on December 14 last year in Buziga, Makindye Division in Kampala, unlawfully caused the death of MP Nebanda.
The trial magistrate, Ms Nambayo has set November 4 for submissions by the State and the accused persons for court to decide whether the suspects defend themselves.
Mr Noor Abubakar
Mr Khan Babu
Mr Abdul Abid Rashid Butt
Ms Fatuma Babu
Mr Ali Omar Almuzahim