Desh case: Deceased’s father decries delays in investigation
Posted Wednesday, March 12 2014 at 02:00
The father of a man who died in the company of businessman Desh Kananura has been advised to appeal to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) over delays in prosecuting the case.
On January 19, 2012, Desh, the lead suspect, who had been on the run since Badru Kateregga, his former employee was killed, was arrested at Entebbe Airport on his return from United Kingdom and later charged with murder.
Appearing before City Hall Court magistrate Juliet Hatanga, the father of the deceased, Mr Suleiman Wele, said he was losing contact with most of the people he expected to testify in the case due to delayed hearing.
However, the magistrate advised Mr Wele to appeal to the DPP’s office. “I cannot commit the suspects until the DPP directs me to do so and neither do I have power to ask the police to finish investigations. You are therefore advised to take your complaint to his office,” Ms Hatanga said. Desh is charged alongside four other people, including his brother, Mr Raymond Kananura, Mr Cyrus Maganda, Mr Samuel Muzulewa and Mr Jacob Onyango.
According to court documents, it is alleged that on September 31, 2012 the suspects beat and killed Kateregga, who was a bar attendant at Panamera Bar owned by Desh over a Shs30,000 tip he allegedly received from customers.
Repeated efforts to reach the directorate’s spokesperson for an update on the investigations were futile because our telephone calls went unanswered.