The name Entebbe is derived from a few rocky seats where Mugula Bukulu Bwawadda, one of the Ganda chiefs of the 19th Century, used to hold court.
In 1893, Sir Gerald Portal founded Entebbe as a military post and principal port to Uganda.
It was made Uganda’s first capital city called Port Alice. In 1903, it was declared a township after the country’s capital was transferred to Kampala.
This was an elevation from the status of a “Town Collect” which extended as far as Mpigi and Kajjansi to the peninsula that extended from the International Airport in the southwest to Katabi Sub-county headquarters in the northeast. In the east, it extended from the lakeshore to Nakiwogo in the west.
The town Planning Scheme that was finalised in 1959 extended the boundaries of Entebbe Town Council from Katabi on Kampala Road to Entebbe Bay and from the airport to Kigungu. In 1975, the town council was elevated to a municipality.
Location and size
The municipality is located 37kms south of Kampala, the capital city of Uganda. It is situated in Wakiso District bordering Lake Victoria to the south. It is located on the peninsular into Lake Victoria covering an area of approximately 56.2 Sq km of which 20 Sq Km is water.
It has a humid tropical climate with means monthly temperatures range between 250C and 270C. The lowest temperature ever recorded is 150C
Vast opportunities lie in the hospitality industry, water recreation, cage fish farming, craft industry for tourism, tour guiding and fast food facilities.
Residents are engaged in a number of economic activities, which include: public service, trade, fishing, urban and peri-urban farming, aviation-related activities, hotels & restaurants as well as construction.
According to the 2002 population and housing census, the population stood at 55,086 people (51 per cent female and 49 per cent male) with a growth rate of 2.2 per cent.
The population of Entebbe now stands at 100,700 with 48.7 per cent being male and 51.3 per cent female.
The population, however, increases during day because many people who work in the town don’t live there. Division A had the largest proportion of the population, standing at 58.2 per cent (44,500 persons) while Division B accounted for 42 per cent (23,055 persons).
Central Ward has the largest proportion of the population standing at 38 per cent followed by Kiwafu with 34 per cent, Katabi at 20 per cent and the least being Kigungu ward with 8 per cent of the total population.
The municipality has a number of administrative units. There are two divisions; A & B and each has two wards and 24 sub-wards.
Entebbe has 66 primary schools, 15 of which are government-aided and 44 are private. It has three government-aided secondary schools and 11 private secondary schools. There are five institutions and two universities, Nkumba and Kisubi.
Entebbe is a well guarded town with all security organs operating in the area. It has a UPDF marine base, Special Forces Command headquarters, Air force base and head quarters and many other security agencies. It has two main police stations at the airport and in Entebbe Town.