Family of Kyadondo bomb victim threatens to sue government
Posted Monday, February 18 2013 at 15:49
The brother to the victim has filed an intention to sue government for negligence and failure to compensate them.
A brother to one of the people killed in the July 11 bombing at Kyadondo Rugby Grounds has threatened to sue the government for Shs200 million over negligence.
Through his lawyers, Akile, Olok and Co. Advocates, Mr Morris Ojok, brother to the deceased Daniel Turyahebwa, filed the intention to sue at the Attorney General’s office on January 24.
The intention to sue states that although the family had high expectations of the victim, negligence by government’s security agents, which disabled them from providing adequate security to its citizens as enshrined in the constitution, has led to short lived expectations of the victim’s family.
The notice adds, “Despite the fact that the government of Uganda had promised to compensate and support the bereaved family of the deceased persons, only the burial expenses were met or facilitated by the government, but the family has not received any other assistance or compensation from the government.”
“We hereby hold you liable for failure to compensate the bereaved family who lost their beloved son as a result of the negligent act of the security agents that could have been averted,” the intention to sue says.
Government has been given 45 days from the date of receipt, which expire on Sunday March 10, within which to heed to the family’s demands, or face a suit in court.
Attorney General Peter Nyombi said although it was possible that the notice had been served to his office, he was not aware of it and thus, could not tell which plan of action his office would take.
Turyahebwa, 17-years-old by the time he died, was one of more than 70 people who were killed at Kyadondo Rugby Grounds on the night of Sunday July 11, 2010, while watching the football World Cup final.