JINJA- Fire on Sunday evening gutted a dormitory of Lwanda High School located in Lwanda village in Mafubira Sub-county, ten kilometres along the Jinja-Kamuli Highway.
The fire reportedly started at about 8:30pm in a dormitory that accommodates Senior One and Senior Two students - leaving destruction of property worth unspecified millions of shillings in its wake.
According to eyewitnesses, the Police Fire Brigade attempted to rescue the property but its vehicle ran short of water upon arrival at the scene; and by the time it returned to the school after refilling, the dormitory had been razed to the ground.
The school’s Director, Mr Matias Wakasenza, suspects the fire to have originated from power short circuit.
Kiira region police spokesperson, Diana Nandaula, while confirming the incident on Monday, said the fire could have emanated from a short circuit, adding that none of the students was injured in the inferno. She however, said investigations were still ongoing.