National

Five electrocuted in church in Kajjasi, Wakiso

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By ALBERT TUMWINE

Posted  Monday, September 1  2014 at  17:16
SHARE THIS STORY

Five people were on Sunday evening electrocuted as they tried to shift a tent to a rain free point at SDA church in Kajjansi Wakiso district.
The five include, Moses Sebadeke 48 and Ivan Byaruhanga 18 both residents of Katende A in Kajjansi who died on spot while the others; Joshua Magodya, Steven Gatete, and Umaru Walusimbi sustained life threatening injuries.

The deceased’s bodies were taken to Mulago Hospital for a postmortem while the injured are receiving treatment at Namulondo Hospital Bwebajja town, according to police.

The incident happened when the metallic stands of the tent got in contact with a live bare wire near the church.

“We blame this on the neglect of electricians who left a naked wire that caused the incident,” Kampala metropolitan police spokesperson, Mr Patrick Onyango told journalists on Monday.

Mr Onyango who was addressing journalist duringa weekly police press briefing at Police headquarters in Kampala further said,“We urge everyone who intends to connect electricity to use qualified electricians to avoid such occurrences.”