Government releases more youth cash, warns against misuse
Posted Friday, July 11 2014 at 01:00
Government warns district officials against stuffing the projects with ghosts.
Kampala- The government yesterday unveiled the second phase of the Youth Livelihood Programme (YLP), targeting more than 40,000 jobless youth in 85 districts.
Addressing a press conference on the progress of the programme, Mr Pius Bigirimana, the permanent secretary in the ministry of Gender, cautioned district officials against stuffing the projects with ghosts, warning that any projects approved without going through the due process will be rejected.
“Within the first six months, we have financed 1,563 youth projects in 27 districts worth Shs11.4 billion,” Mr Bigirimana said.
“We have embarked on the second phase to cover the remaining 85 districts and Shs35 billion has been earmarked in the 2014/15 budget for these purposes,” he added.
He said 56 per cent of the money went to the males and 44 per cent to females. He said the selection of the 27 districts under phase I was based on poverty count, population size and other social and security situations. He said the second phase starts this week.
Mr Bigirimana also warned district officials against politicising the project. “I have sent a signal to the district commissioners that there guidelines concerning on who gets what.
If we get project appraisals that don’t involve chairpersons at district youth levels, we shall not approve. This programme does not discriminate youth from any given political party,” he said.
Mr Bigirmana also said there were guidelines on the YLP funds to be allocated to particular individuals depending on their projects. He said so far, agriculture has taken 52 per cent of the released funds, trade 19 per cent, vocational skills 8 per cent and small and medium enterprises 8 percent.
The YLP was launched in January last year with an allocation of Shs265 billion.