Tuesday March 13 2018

Grief, anger mark the burial of killed traffic officer

Cpl Wilfred Tweituk knocked dead

Cpl Wilfred Tweituk was knocked dead last week by Devine Bus registration number UBA 684T while on duty at Kabakanjagala junction along Rubaga road. Courtesy photo 


Grief and anger marked the burial of a traffic police officer, who was knocked dead last week by Devine Bus registration number UBA 684T while on duty at Kabakanjagala junction along Rubaga road.

Cpl Wilfred Tweituk, a traffic officer attached to Old Kampala Police Station, was laid to rest at his ancestral home in Kisitya cell, Siron ward in Kapchorwa Municipality on Monday.

Hundreds of mourners including the Kampala Metropolitan Traffic Commander, Mr Norman Musinga, flocked the deceased’s ancestral home for the burial. Speaker after speaker condemned the act of the driver, who ended the life of the "well-disciplined" officer.

Mr Alfred Tweituk, a clan leader of Kapchesokwo, where the deceased belongs, described him as a hardworking and disciplined son and expressed how painful it was to lose him.

“We regret that our son died under such circumstance and we call upon police to act accordingly on the reckless driver,” he said.

Mr Stephen Chemayek, an elder brother to Tweituk described the deceased as a down-to-earth person.

AIGP Stephen Kasima, Traffic Police Director in his speech read by Mr Musinga, regretted the act saying that it was a unique accident in the history of his career.

“Since I joined the Uganda Police Force, I have never seen a scenario like what occurred to the deceased. It was very tragic,” part of Kasima’s speech read.

Mr Kasima also praised Tweituk for being a disciplined and a trusted officer who died at a time when police was undergoing transition of changing its face before the public.

“We don’t know whether the driver did it intentionally or not but ended up ramming onto our fellow police officer. Investigations are ongoing and we shall try to verify and find out the motive of the driver,” he said

Mr Musinga assured the mourners that the culprit will be arrested and charged accordingly.

He said police had contacted the ministry of transport to apprehend the bus company until the driver is produced.

“We want to look at his face and know who he is. We know we can’t bring back the life of the deceased but justice must prevail,” Mr Musinga said.

The late officer who died at the age of 54, joined Uganda police in 1991 and had worked in several sub-regions including; Karamoja, Busoga and Kampala among others.

He left behind three widows and sixteen children, the youngest being less than six months.