Gen David Sejusa a.k.a Tinyefuza has said he will return to the country this week, dismissing reports that he was seeking asylum in Europe. As the General was making the announcement, the army yesterday said the coordinator of intelligence agencies would have to appear before the police for interrogation.
Speaking through his lawyer, Mr Joseph Luzige yesterday, Gen Sejusa said he postponed his highly-anticipated return last weekend, in order to “handle more meetings”.“Our client (Gen. Sejusa) will be coming back to the country this week but he will not tell the real date of his arrival. He postponed his weekend comeback because he was to have a meeting with a few people,” said Mr Joseph Luzige, his lawyer.
Gen. Sejusa has kicked up a storm after the Daily Monitor last week published a letter he wrote to the director of the Internal Security Organisation, asking that he investigates claims of plots to eliminate government officials opposed to “Muhoozi Project”.
Defence minister Crispus Kiyonga last week told Parliament that no such project existed. The claims alleged that the First Son, Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, was being propped up to succeed his father, President Museveni.
Gen. Sejusa, who is currently out of the country on official duty, was scheduled to return to the country on Saturday but never showed up. News of his anticipated return was greeted with heavy deployment along Entebbe Road, especially at the airport and until yesterday, visitors and cars to the facility were still undergoing thorough search and cameras were not being allowed inside.
Yesterday, the army spokesperson, Lt. Col. Paddy Ankunda, said the general “does not have to fear and that he will not be handpicked from the airport.” “Officially, there is an inquiry into his utterances and investigations are ongoing and he will have to be summoned by police,” Col. Ankunda said.
The Daily Monitor has also learnt that besides the raid on Gen. Sejusa’s offices, the government had applied to court to allow it search the soldier’s house.
Search on house
Yesterday, Gen. Sejusa’s lawyers wrote to the Buganda Road and Nakawa chief magistrate courts, requesting that they (lawyers) be present during the comb. “That our client has learnt that State/Police has applied for a warrant of search to search his [Gen. Sejusa] house which is okay with him; however, he wishes and insists that before the said process, we as his lawyers should be present and the warrant should be that his family should not be harassed,” says the lawyers’ petition.
The army and police, however, have each denied being responsible for the request to carry out the search. The lawyers also dismissed media reports attributed to one Joseph Ssewava, who claimed to be an aide to Gen. Sejusa, that they had spoken to government to negotiate a middle ground over this controversy.