National

Iganga Hospital plan was tampered with - leaders

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By YAZID YOLISIGIRA

Posted  Friday, December 27  2013 at  02:00

In Summary

Contention. Leaders say the plan contradicts what President Museveni promised to the district in May this year.

SHARE THIS STORY

Iganga.

Iganga District leaders have protested the structural design for the reconstruction of Iganga hospital citing alterations of the initial plan.
This comes days after the contract for the reconstruction of the hospital was handed to the Chinese firm, Earo Technology International, to begin work.
The reconstruction work, which was commissioned earlier this month at a cost of $4 million (about Shs10b), had been expected to last 18 months. But now, that is in doubt following the district leaders’ protest.

Iganga Municipality MP Peter Mugema, Kigulu South MP Milton Muwuma, and the district chairperson, Mr Shaban Nkutu, say the plan which the ministry handed to the contractor contradicts what President Museveni promised when he was in the district in May this year.
The current plan, they say, does not have storeyed buildings, a nursing home and an expanded Out Patients’ Department as the President had promised.
“The facility was meant to have storeyed buildings which are not reflected on the new design which was given to the contractors by the Ministry of Health. I have petitioned the relevant authorities, including the President, to intervene before I stage a demonstration to stop the rehabilitation,” Mr Mugema said.
Though work is already underway, Mr Nkutu last week wrote to the President, asking for his intervention.

Letter to Museveni
“Your Excellency, besides the fact that the plans contravene what you told the public, we have a shortage of land. Erecting non-storeyed structures will cause more congestion,” Mr Nkutu’s December 17 letter reads in part.
Again on December 19, Mr Nkutu tabled the matter before the district council, which resolved that the Minister for Health be invited to clarify on the matter.
The RDC, Hajj Swaibu Lubega Waggwa, said the matter has since been drawn to the attention of the Ministry of Health and the Office of the President, but that work should go on pending a review of the matter.
The government is rolling out a plan to renovate the dilapidated health facilities throughout the country after mobilising funds from international agencies.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com