National

Karegeya to be buried in South Africa on Jan 18

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By  RISDEL KASASIRA

Posted  Saturday, January 11   2014 at  02:00

In Summary

Col Karegeya was found dead in Michelangelo Hotel room in Johannesburg on January 1 in an apparent assassination act, many sources attribute to the Kigali government. The Kigali government has denied the accusation.

SHARE THIS STORY

Kampala- The slain former Rwanda spymaster, Col Patrick Karegeya, will be buried on January 18 in South Africa.

A requiem mass will be held in Kampala before the family and friends travel to South Africa for the burial.

“The family is suggesting that the service be held next week at St Andrew’s Church in Bukoto before the mourners travel for burial,” Mr Kenneth Kakuru, who heads the team that has been coordinating the burial arrangements, told Saturday Monitor.

Col Karegeya was found dead in Michelangelo Hotel room in Johannesburg on January 1 in an apparent assassination act, many sources attribute to the Kigali government. The Kigali government has denied the accusation.
Karegeya had been living in exile in South Africa since 2007 after falling out with President Kagame.

Rwanda Defence Forces accused him of insubordination, indiscipline and was stripped of his rank before he fled the country.

On Wednesday, a South African newspaper, Mail & Guardian reported that three suspects including Rwanda’s Lt Col Francis Gakwerere had been arrested in Mozambique in connection with Karegeya’s assassination.

The newspaper quoted a private investigator Chad Thomas that Col Gakwerere and two others were under custody in Maputo.

The South African police was also investigating allegations that the killers used fake South African passports.
Rwanda has denied allegations that it was involved in the assassination but the Foreign Affairs Minister, Ms Louis Mushikiwabo, said on twitter on Tuesday that they were not pitied for his death.

The South African Police spokesperson, Ms Katlego Mogale, told Saturday Monitor that she had no information about the arrests but referred the newspaper to the spokesperson of the Directorate of Priority Crime Investigations in South Africa, Mr Paul Ramaloko whose phone was off.
“Kindly direct your enquiries to the DPCI. It’s the one still carrying out investigations,” she said yesterday.

rkasasira@ug.nationmedia.com