National

Kayihura and Aronda hit back at Gen. Tinyefuza

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By Chris Obore, Risdel Kasasira & Richard Wanambwa

Posted  Wednesday, May 8  2013 at  01:00

In Summary

IGP Kale Kayihura. It’s very despicable for a senior officer of his caliber to even disclose official correspondences. Why does he say it’s me trying to frame him?

SHARE THIS STORY

KAMPALA

The army commander, Gen. Aronda Nyakairima, and the Inspector General of Police, Lt. Gen. Kale Kayihura, have dismissed reports by the Coordinator of Intelligence Services, Gen. David Sejusa a.k.a. Tinyefuza, that there are plans to assassinate top government officials opposed to the “Muhoozi Project”.

This newspaper yesterday exclusively published details of a letter Gen. Sejusa wrote to the Internal Security Organisation, asking the agency to investigate reports that some top military officers had plotted to eliminate their colleagues who do not favour the idea of the First Son, Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, ascending to the national presidency. But speaking to the Daily Monitor yesterday, Gen. Kayihura, whom Gen. Sejusa had claimed was part of the plot, termed the allegations as “crap, outrageous and annoying”.

In his letter, Gen. Sejusa had claimed that a recent attack on Mbuya Military barracks was part of this wider plot but Gen. Kayihura said those behind the attack had been arrested. “It’s very despicable for a senior officer of his caliber to even disclose official correspondences,” said Gen. Kayihura. “The people who attacked Mbuya are known and they are there and are facing court. Why does he say it’s me trying to frame him?”

After the attack on the barracks in March this year, two UPDF soldiers Lt. Augustine Moro and Pte Kenneth Kalokwera and a private security guard, Mr Ivan Ebong, were arrested and arraigned before the court martial. They denied the allegations and were remanded.

Gen. Kayihura also wondered why Gen. Sejusa was tasking other units to investigate the claims yet he could do so as the head of intelligence services. Asked what could have prompted Gen. Sejusa to make the accusations, Gen. Kayihura labelled him as “irresponsible”, adding: “I don’t want to engage in a public debate and I cannot be drawn to debate such nonsense. I am a disciplined officer and I prefer these matters are handled differently, it is nonsense.”

Meanwhile, the Commander of Defence Forces, Gen. Aronda Nyakairima, who Gen. Sejusa said was part of those targeted for assassination, yesterday sent a statement to media houses, saying the spy chief was “acting out of order”. Gen. Aronda accused Gen. Sejusa of peddling falsehoods: “As the Chief of Defence Forces of the UPDF, I am not aware of such concerns neither does the Intelligence Community. The statement therefore is not only false but misleading.”

The army commander added: “First of all it is out of procedure for the Coordinator of Intelligence to communicate to his appointing authority who is the President and Commander-In-Chief through his subordinate.” Asked if Gen. Sejusa would be prosecuted, the UPDF spokesperson, Lt. Col. Paddy Ankunda said: “He is a presidential adviser and coordinator of security agencies. The commander in-chief will make a decision on how to proceed.”

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com