National

Learn from past mistakes, EC told

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By Dan Wandera

Posted  Thursday, April 10   2014 at  17:11
SHARE THIS STORY

Luweero.
A stakeholders meeting organised to brief Luweero District voters on the roadmap for the District Woman Member of Parliament by-election has tasked the Electoral Commission (EC) to own up its past mistakes and learn to be independent.

Civil society leaders, led by the Luweero District NGO forum boss John Sseguja, said the EC has failed to ensure enough sensitisation of voters who are expected to turn up for the by-election next month.

“You are aware of the past mistakes that led to the mess for the past by-election, but we seem not to see any seriousness on your side,” Mr Sseguja told the EC officials during the meeting on Wednesday.

Mr Absolom Bwanika Baale, the Luweero FDC chairperson said: “We shall not spend the entire five years holding by-elections because of the inefficiency of the EC officials.

It is high time you apologized to Luweero voters and ensure that the past mistakes are not repeated.”
The Court of Appeal last month ruled that Ms Brenda Nabukenya, the former Luweero District Woman MP, was not duly elected.

However, Mr Joseph Biribonwa, the EC deputy chairperson, said the delay in voter sensitisation and updating of registers should not only be blamed on them, but the bureaucratic process in government departments.