Luzira shooting case adjourned abruptly over documents
Posted Thursday, January 17 2013 at 02:50
The trial of a soldier, who allegedly shot three people dead at Luzira last year, ended prematurely yesterday over a disagreement regarding an exhibit.
Col. Geoffrey Kakama, the chairperson of the Division Court Martial sitting at Luzira Church of Uganda, adjourned the case against Herbert Rwakihembo to today.
The suspect faces four counts of murder and attempted murder.
“This court is not here to make adjournments. We will not allow this court to go under speculation. You have not provided the provisions of the law under which this court should follow,” Col. Kakama said.
He demanded the legal provisions challenging a witness from tendering a document which he did not author.
The impromptu adjournment was prompted by an argument by Mr Martin Muhuuza, the soldier’s lawyer, saying the document submitted in court was not authored by Lt. Ishaka Twaha Butanaziba, the sixth prosecution witness.
Lt. Butanziba, attached to Luzira Prison Military detach, had been called as a witness to identify arms and ammunition return document.
Other witnesses include Lt. Amos Bin Sultan, Cpl. Moses Okwang, Sgt. Robert Ninsiima and two minors.
The prosecution alleges that on December 10, last year, at Kisenyi Zone 111, Luzira in Nakawa Division; Rwakihembo shot Irene Namuyaba Nakibirango, Zaina Nassolo Nalongo and Loyce Kawendeke dead.
Lt. Amos Bin Sultan, a witness, who described the accused soldier as having excellent discipline, said Rwakihembo confessed to him that he had killed three people.
“He (Rwakihembo) came and asked me for help as a parent saying he had killed three people. I was not aware that he had any serious family issues that could result into such a gruesome murder,” Lt. Sultan said.