National
Mbarara student dies in mama kits marathon
Participants in Save Mama Marathon before they were flagged off in Mbarara on Saturday. The student collapsed and died shortly after being taken to Mbarara hospital. PHOTO BY ALFRED TUMUSHABE.
Posted Monday, February 11 2013 at 02:00
In Summary
The police have blamed the organisers for not carrying out a medical examination of all the participants.
Mbarara
The Save Mama Marathon, an event that had been organised in Mbarara District to raise money to save mothers from dying while giving birth, claimed a participant at the weekend. Bilpam Makar Riak, a student at Sentah International College in Mbarara, collapsed and died shortly after being admitted to Mbarara Referral Hospital.
Bilpam, a Senior Five student, who hails from South Sudan, collapsed near De Boss Entertainment Centre in Kamukuzi Division. “I saw him fall down and moments later, an ambulance that was behind us came and picked him only to hear news of his death as we were receiving our certificates at Mbarara Independence Park,” one of the participants, Mr Samuel Ahimbi, told the Daily Monitor.
Grieving relatives and friends thronged the hospital mortuary. The head teacher of the college, Mr Uthman Nduhukire, who was waiting for postmortem results at the hospital, described the incident as unfortunate. “It is true the student has died but I cannot talk more on this because the matter is being handled by the police,” Mr Nduhukire said.
The Rwizi regional police commander, Mr Martin Abilu, confirmed the death and blamed the organisers. “The organisers take the blame because they could have taken full medical examination of all participants. Maybe this student was unfit to participate in this marathon,” Mr Abilu said yesterday. He said they were investigating the death, adding that the organisers would be charged if there was any sign of negligence. When contacted for comment, the organisers were tight lipped about the incident.
editorial@ug.nationmedia.com



RSS