MBALE. A new group describing itself as a rebel organisation has claimed responsibility of the armed attack on Kapchorwa Central Police Station last weekend that left three people dead and three guns taken.
In a letter circulated in Kapchorwa and Kween districts and signed by one Mr Misin Kongoi, the leader of the purported rebel group, the attackers refer to themselves as members of Uganda Saving Force (USF). They warned of more similar attacks on security units.
The letter, seen by Sunday Monitor, says their forces are responsible for the attacks on police, Uganda Wild Wildlife Authority camps and other armed personnel in Mt Elgon sub-region.
“On behalf of USF, we would like to inform the general public not to panic but to be calm in regard to the events that transpired at Kapchorwa Police headquarters, which saw the death of a police officer and our freedom fighter,” reads part of the document.
The letter says USF has presence across the country and outside Uganda with a mission to save Uganda from a dictatorship of President Museveni.
The group, according to the letter, urges Ugandans to join them in the “liberation struggle” and invited the various security personnel and police to cooperate with them in their mission.
However, Sipi region police spokesperson Michael Odongo dismissed the claims as empty threats. He insisted the attack on Kapchorwa Central Police Station was by thugs who have no political agenda but wanted to rescue their colleague who had been arrested.
Despite police assurances to deal with the gunmen, the document has left many residents in Kapchorwa and the neighbouring Kween District in fear of recurrent attacks.
The Uganda People’s Defence Forces spokesperson, Lt Col Paddy Ankunda, said the claim of a rebel group was news to him and did not have a useful response about them before asking: “What are they saving Uganda from? They will meet the full force of the law and as UPDF, we are ready to defend Ugandans and our country,” said Ankunda.