Minister stakes Shs2m on heads of alleged rapists
Posted Wednesday, October 16 2013 at 01:00
MUKONO- Anyone who offers information that leads to the arrest of Pakistani men accused of gang-raping their domestic house-help will get Shs2 million, says Youth Affairs minister Ronald Kibuule.
The minister made the pronouncement yesterday during Idd Adhuha prayers in Nama Sub-county, Mukono District.
Mr Kibuule also asked police and immigration officials to scrutinise the suspects’ documents to establish the legality of their residence in Uganda following reports that some of them lack proper work permits. P. 3
“This is primitivity of the highest order and it cannot be tolerated,” said the minister. “These people must be brought to book. I am offering Shs2 million for anyone who helps police arrest these men.”
Mr Kibuule added that he was to conduct a fundraising drive to raise money to support the victim.
“She needs capital to start-up some business when she fully recovers. I will approach different stakeholders to help.”
The Daily Monitor yesterday carried an account of the 23-year-old woman who was reportedly gang-raped and sodomised by a group of Pakistani men led by her employer.
Police have identified the employer as Mohammed Zahir, whom they say has eluded arrest since the matter went public. Police also say they are hunting for another man, Sadaq Sabazu, over the incident.
Suspects still in Uganda
Whereas there were earlier reports that the two men could have fled the country, Kampala Metropolitan police spokesperson Ibin Ssenkumbi on Monday said the men were still in Uganda and urged the public to help in their hunt.
Mr Ssenkumbi also indicated that two other suspects were in police custody and would be arraigned in court today.
Mr Ssenkumbi’s boss, Ms Judith Nabakooba, yesterday told this newspaper that police had obtained the suspects’ photos and if proved they had left the country, Interpol would be asked to join the hunt.
The victim on Monday told the Daily Monitor that she was lured out of her waitress job by Zahil, who offered to pay her Shs150,000 a month as his house-help.
However, weeks into her new job, Zahil, a Pakistani national employed by a car importing firm, reportedly turned her captive, locking her up in the house and inviting his countrymen to gang-rape the victim.
According to the victim, she was gang-raped thrice; by three men the first time, five men the second time and another four the third time.
The police are also investigating reports that some of their officers at Kiira Road Police Station, where the case was first reported, could have been compromised by the suspects and had attempted to frustrate investigations.
Mr Ssenkumbi announced that because of the claims, the file has now been moved to regional crime investigation department “for better management”.
If Mr Kibuule’s offer helps to bring the suspects to book, the irony will not be lost, seeing that he was recently thrust into the spotlight after he reportedly said rape victims who dress indecently deserve no justice.
He later made a statement in Parliament, saying his remarks had been taken out of context, insisting he was making a case for morally-upright youth.