Monitor journalists summoned over Tinye story

The police have summoned Daily Monitor Managing Editor Don Wanyama and two reporters; Richard Wanambwa and Risdel Kasasira for questioning over a story the newspaper published last week.

Monday May 13 2013

By Monitor Reporter

The police have summoned Daily Monitor Managing Editor Don Wanyama and two reporters; Richard Wanambwa and Risdel Kasasira for questioning over a story the newspaper published last week.

According to the summonses, the journalists are wanted in relation to a story the newspaper published on May 7, which carried contents of a letter written by the coordinator of Security Agencies, Gen. David Sejusa aka Tinyefuza, alleging that there was a plot to assassinate some top government officials.

“Inquiries are being conducted under the above quoted reference whereby you published a letter on page 4 in the Daily Monitor of 7th May, 2013 allegedly written by General Sejusa David relating to assassination claims of senior government officials by their colleagues,” states the letter signed by Mr Geoffrey Musana on behalf of the director of the Criminal Investigations and Intelligence Directorate.

Whereas police delivered the summonses to the newspaper offices on Friday and wanted the journalists to report for questioning immediately, the matter was deferred to tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10am after negotiations with Daily Monitor lawyers.

Mr Wanyama said they would honour the request for interrogation.
“We are law abiding citizens but importantly professional journalists. We shall turn up for the meeting,” said Mr Wanyama. “At this point we don’t exactly know what the police want from us although they have asked that we take them a copy of Gen. Sejusa’s letter.”

The letter, which Gen. Sejusa admits having written, claimed there was a plot to eliminate senior government officials opposed to the “Muhoozi Project”, a reference to an alleged scheme to have the First Son, Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, take over the presidency from his father, President Museveni.

The army has since dismissed Gen. Sejusa’s claims, instead accusing him of indiscipline while the Executive, through the Defence Minister, Dr Crispus Kiyonga, has denied the existence of the “Muhoozi Project”.

“I assure the House that there is no such thing as Muhoozi project in the army,” Dr Kiyonga told Parliament on Thursday. Although he denied the existence of the letter, Dr Kiyonga wondered why Gen. Sejusa had delegated investigation of such a grave matter to his juniors.

advertisement