Muntu warns government on attacks
Posted Tuesday, March 19 2013 at 02:00
He calls upon the government to establish the motives behind the desperate measures people have taken recently.
The Forum for Democratic Change president, Maj. Gen. (rtd) Mugisha Muntu, yesterday warned that the recent armed attacks on security installations could be a result of “a progressive build-up of loss of hope in the electoral processes as a means of changing government since in 2001”.
The former army commander told journalists at the FDC headquarters in Najjanankumbi that there is frustration over the credibility of electoral processes in the country, and this could lead to desperate actions by people who see armed attacks as the only viable option.
He, however, emphasised that resorting to armed insurrection is not being considered by the opposition. Gen. Muntu laid out a three-pronged strategy of civic action, party building and advocating for electoral reforms as a way of achieving what he called an “inevitable transition.”
“The only way to defuse this situation is not threatening the opposition but to focus on democratic, political and electoral reforms so that we revive people’s hope on how to change a state of uncertainty and loss of hope in the democratic process,” he said.
The FDC leader cautioned government functionaries that it would be “stupid” to stage-manage armed attacks as ploy to clamp down on citizens’ rights to assemble and express their rights on governance uninhibited.
Pressure group For God and My Country last week suggested that the attacks could be part of a security agency ploy to create grounds upon which to justify their continued harassment of individuals and groups that seek to express themselves on issues of governance.
Information Minister Mary Karooro Okurut declined to respond to the issues raised by the FDC boss, instead asking him to “give evidence about the attacks to security.” “From what you are saying, Gen. Muntu knows better and he should give you more information,” Ms Karooro said.
Former army spokesperson Col. Felix Kulayigye and Kampala Metropolitan police boss Felix Kaweesi have both previously ruled out the possibility of the attacks being the work of a new rebel group.