Officials under investigation over forged council minutes
Posted Sunday, October 6 2013 at 01:00
No proof. Councillors accuse their colleagues of twisting minutes to get authority to sell lockup spaces in the town.
Police in Budaka District are investigating allegations that three top council officials connived and forged council minutes to sell off open spaces and lockup shops in the town.
A group of councillors claim that the council speaker forged minutes of a council meeting to falsely secure authority’s permission to sell lockup spaces and corridors. The councillors allege that the minutes were forged to read that there was an agreement to sell off the said spaces and that the proposal was seconded by the councillor representing the elderly, Mr Yusuf Mashege.
The case was reported to the police by one of the councillors on September 30, alleging that senior officials without the authority of the council, connived and forged minutes of a council meeting of April 29 to sell open spaces and lockups.
Matter under investigation
“These people yesterday (Thursday) appeared before police detectives for interrogations over the alleged illegal sale of open spaces and lockups and also forging council minutes. However, they did not make statements and are expected to return to respond to the allegations raised against them,” Mr Yusuf Mashege, a councillor said on Friday.
The council officers, who appeared before police detectives declined to comment. But the district criminal investigation officer, Mr Robert Chelgant, said the matter was under investigations and a general inquiries file had been opened at the station. The councillors also allege that the town clerk, Mr Andrew Mulekwa, the LC3 chairman, Mr Augustine Mubale and the speaker, Mr Osbert Ngobi, falsified and forged council minutes to suit their interest.
Sunday Monitor was told that about Shs50 million was collected from the sale of open spaces and lockups in the town, but that the money had not been accounted for. However, Mr Mubale dismissed the allegations as baseless. “These wild allegations are only intended to blackmail people’s names,” he said. “This matter was discussed and debated in council but turning around to point on individuals is unfair to some people. We need to take full responsibility on whatever decision is approved,” he said.