Revisiting Karamuzi murder

Share Bookmark Print Rating
An illustration of the late Karamuzi

An illustration of the late Karamuzi 

By Monitor Correspondent

Posted  Sunday, December 15  2013 at  02:00

In Summary

The police brought a fire brigade team who retrieved the decomposing body from the septic tank. Thereafter, the Shamba boy - Fred Sempijja - was arrested.


Flashback. The High Court in Kampala sentenced to death Tom Nkurunjira also known as Tonku in August 2011 for murdering his ex-girl friend Brenda Karamuzi. The ruling by Justice Rugadya Atwooki indicated that the evidence was enough to prove that Nkurunjira murdered his ex-girl friend. The Sunday Monitor digs back into how the events leading to the arrest and sentencing of Tonku unfolded.

On January 30, 2010, police were called to a house in Kijwa zone, Bukasa Parish in Makindye Division, where a body of a female adult had been discovered in a septic tank.

The call to police came in at about 11am from Samuel Wamono, the area chairperson, reporting that Juma Abdu Hamid, a landlord, had informed him of a dead body.

Hamid had two tenants - Abdu Aziz Kakooza and Tom Nkurungira - in the same compound.
It was Kakooza who had called Charles Wamono, a fumigator, to disinfect his house because of the many cockroaches. While going about his duty, Wamono removed the slab to spray inside the septic tank when he discovered a body of a female, prompting them to call police.
The body was in a black blouse.
The police brought a fire brigade team who retrieved the decomposing body from the septic tank. Thereafter, the Shamba boy - Fred Sempijja - was arrested.

As police were inspecting the scene, Tom Nkurungira [Tonku]’s friend Christopher Bagaruka drove into the compound which had been declared a scene of crime. Bagaruka was arrested and asked where Nkurungira was. He said he did not know and that he too was looking for him and that was why he had come to his house.

The Shamba boy and Bagaruka were locked up at Kabalagala Police Station. The two suspects were put in separate cells.
The body had an open wound to the right side of the forehead and stab wounds around the neck.

House opened
The detectives at the scene asked to speak to the landlord because there was strong suspicion that the tenant could have killed the victim.

Police asked the landlord to open the house; he brought someone who broke the padlock.
Inside the house, police found blood stains on the walls and even on the cushions.

In the corridor leading to the bedroom, there were signs of an attempt to climb the wall in order to access the ceiling.
The scenes of crime officer then ascended into the ceiling and recovered three ladies’ bags, ladies clothes and a black wallet, an NSSF card No. 8402700401482 in the names of Brenda Karamuzi.

There was also a Barclays bank ATM card and business cards in the same names, prompting the police to conclude that this must be the victim.

Police started making calls to each of the owners of the business cards and after six calls, they came across Karamuzi’s friend who gave police her mother’s number.

Police called Karamuzi’s mother - Joy Karamuzi - who confirmed that Karamuzi was her daughter and had been trying to find her whereabouts for one week.

Karamuzi’s mother was asked to go to the city mortuary and find out whether it the body discovered was of her daughter.
Meanwhile, police found a hoe in an outside bathroom. It had blood splashes on the handle and police preserved the scene for another day since it was coming to 6pm. Police then locked the house and deployed officers.

Mother identifies daughter
After identifying her daughter’s body, the mother demanded to know what happened and was called to Kabalagala Police Station. The mother identified her daughter’s bags and recorded a statement at police together with other relatives.
The following day, on January 31, 2010, police conducted a post mortem at the city mortuary and it was found out that Karamuzi had died of brain injury following a blunt force trauma.

Police picked pieces of the bone from the skull. After the post mortem, a team from the Government Analytical Laboratory – GAL - went to the scene and advised the police on how to go about the investigations.
At the scene, police wanted to know who had entered the ceiling.

1 | 2 | 3 Next Page»