Row erupts over Nakaseke Hospital construction
Posted Thursday, July 24 2014 at 01:00
Authorities in Nakaseke District have protested the exclusion of the construction of staff quarters at Nakaseke Hospital that had been indicated in a contract.
The district chairman, Mr Ignatius Kiwanuka Koomu, said the deletion breaches the contract plans signed in October last year between government and Yan Jian Construction Company – the project contractor.
Recently, during a site meeting, Yan Jian Construction Company said the inclusion of the six staff units was an error in the contract plan.
Mr Koomu said the communication was sudden and verbal yet the October contract had indicated the units were part of the contract.
“We seriously protest the new development which indicates that Nakaseke Hospital is not supposed to have the six house units,” he said.
Nakaseke District secretary for health Marriam Kaberuka said Ministry of Health should put the deletion of the units in writing and indicate it was a contractual error.
The hospital administrator, Mr Ntumwa Matovu, said they have more than 190 staff but available units can accommodate less than 70 people.
Dr Asuman Lukwago the Ministry of Health Permanent Secretary said he had not received the complaint, adding: “I would not want to comment on issues for which officials have not mentioned to me in regard to the project.”
The Daily Monitor could not get a comment from Yan Jian Construction Company as known telephone numbers of different officials could not be reached.
works in the plan
According to the contract, the contractor is supposed to construct a new Out Patients Department block, causality unit, operating theatre, renovation of T-block with four patient wards, administration block, construction of six staff houses of two bedrooms each, construction of new walk ways, installing an electric bore hole, installing gas units, construction of a laundry and attendant kitchen at Shs13b.