Monday July 27 2015

School to reopen after closure over demons

Luweero District chairman  Abdul Nadduli(2ndL)

Luweero District chairman Abdul Nadduli(2ndL) addresses parents at Victoria Model SS Main Hall last Friday. Photo by Dan Wandera 


LUWEERO. Parents and management of Victoria Model Secondary School in Luweero District have resolved to reopen the school two weeks after it was closed following a violent riot by students.
Several students, who were purportedly possessed by evil spirits, suddenly ran amok, smashing doors and windows and destroyed other property of the school.
During a meeting last Friday, the school administration assured parents that the school premises had been cleansed of demons and it is now safe for students to report for studies.

The Luweero District Council chairman, Mr Abdul Nadduli, said: “It is unfortunate that individuals with negative minds about development have infiltrated schools to sabotage the future of our children. We have an assurance from the traditional healers that the entire school premises are now very safe. ”
Senior Four, Five and Six students are supposed to report today (Monday, July 27), while the rest of the classes will report at a date to be communicated by the school management, according to the school director, Prof Victoria Nakiboneka Mwaka.

She said they had previously engaged pastors and other religious leaders to exorcise the suspected evil spirits, but conditions kept on worsening.
“We resolved to tentatively close the school to minimise the risks of losing more property. We have now been assured by traditional healers that the school premises are safe from the demons,” she said.

Several cases of suspected demon attack have occurred in many schools.
However, psychologists and doctors believe these are not demon attacks, but effects of mass hysteria and convulsion disorders, but students usually dismiss this, insisting that they have genuine concerns.