National

Three dead, 37 admitted as cholera strikes Namayingo

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By DAVID AWORI

Posted  Monday, June 2   2014 at  01:00
SHARE THIS STORY

NAMAYINGO.
Three people have died and another 37 admitted following an outbreak of cholera in Mutumba Sub-county, Namayingo District.

The patients are admitted to Mutumba and Buyinja health centres III and IV respectively in Namayingo and Dabani Hospital in Busia District.
The Namayingo disease surveillance officer, Mr Julius Waibi, told this newspaper last Thursday that samples, which had earlier been taken to the central government laboratory, confirmed the disease.
He said although the health workers were trying to contain the disease, they are still ill-equipped to deal with the magnitude of the problem.
“We are facing a lot of challenges, including lack of basic drugs and the fact that the cases are increasing at all our health facilities, is threatening,” he said.

Mr Waibi said Lubango Primary School, where a pupil died of cholera, has been closed.
District authorities have since directed that a cholera isolation camp be set up there.

The Mutumba LC3 chairperson, Mr Charles Kutosi, and the district health educator, Mr Michael Rwamiki, attributed the outbreak to low pit-latrine coverage which stands at 30 per cent and low water coverage which is at about 35 per cent.

They also said the infected areas are far from the health centres.
By press time, the Ministry of Health had not yet made any intervention but an NGO, Star EC, had delivered some disinfectants.