The United States has condemned twin bomb attacks in the Kenyan capital Nairobi blamed on Islamic militants that killed at least 10 people and wounded more than 70 others.
“The United States condemns today’s despicable terrorist attacks,” National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden, said on Friday.
“This is the latest in a series of cowardly attacks on innocent civilians in Kenya,” she said, offering thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.
“As we have for half a century, the United States stands with our Kenyan friends and partners who continue to face adversity with courage and resolve,” Hayden added.
“We support them in their efforts to confront terrorism in all of its forms.”
Kenya’s National Disaster Operation Centre said the first blast occurred next to a 14-seater public minibus while the second was inside a shop in a market close to Nairobi’s central business district.
Earlier this month, three people were killed and 86 wounded in twin bus blasts in Nairobi blamed on Islamic militant cells connected with Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Shabaab rebels. The previous day, twin attacks left four dead in Mombasa.
Kenya has been targeted by the Shabaab since sending troops to war-torn Somalia in 2011. Kenyan soldiers are still posted in southern Somalia as part of an African Union force supporting the country’s fragile internationally-backed government.