Uneb denies asking schools for mock results
Posted Tuesday, January 28 2014 at 02:00
Uneb executive secretary says they deal with national examinations and therefore do not need mock results.
The Uganda National Examinations Board (Uneb) yesterday refuted claims that they have asked schools across the country to forward them their candidates’ mock results.
Messages swamped social media and mobile phones short message service (SMS) over the weekend that Uneb had asked schools to submit their students’ mock results.
However, Mr Mathew Bukenya, the Uneb executive secretary, in a statement issued yesterday said: “No Uneb staff has reported receiving that SMS although many, including myself, usually receive such messages even without prior subscription. Therefore, we cannot confirm the source of the message.”
SMS firms sent out messages to people over the weekend indicating that Uneb has asked schools to submit in their candidates’ mock results, something that also went viral on social media.
The exams body has had a challenge in the marking and release of last year’s national examination. First it complained of lack of funds to pay teachers marking the examinations at various centres and later the technical hitch when scanners were reported to have crashed. There was fear that Uneb lost tally marks in the process.
Uneb has in the past released Primary Leaving Examination results in the middle of January, followed by Senior Four and Senior Six examinations in quick succession. Mr Bukenya asked the public to ignore the information, adding that there was no memo issued by the secretariat.
Mr Bukenya also wrote assuring parents that they are doing “everything within our means to release PLE results by the end of month”. Uneb spokesperson Hamis Kaheru stated: “We said examination results will be ready by the end of the month. We have not changed our stand.”