Woman ‘raped’, beaten into coma
Posted Monday, October 28 2013 at 01:00
A 20-year-old alleges that a man beat her into coma after telling him she was pregnant.
Just days after the news about the abuse of a 23-year-old woman by some Pakistan nationals, another 20-year-old is slowly regaining consciousness after she was beaten into coma by a man she alleges raped and impregnated her.
The victim, a resident of Kabwohe, was admitted at Mulago Hospital on October 12 after Busega police officers reportedly picked her from Masaka–Kampala highway unconscious.
She was admitted in the gyanaecology ward after the police suspected that she could have been raped.
However, the in-charge of the ward, Ms Regina Nakubulwa, said they could not ascertain that because she seemed to have been sexually active for a while.
But the victim says she had been raped by a man only identified as Ssula from Mbarara District where she worked as a domestic worker.
She alleges that the man continued abusing her when his wife was away and when she told him that she was pregnant, him and his friends beat up.
“I do not even know how I got here,” she says as she struggled to recall events that happened before she lost consciousness.
Ms Nakubulwa says when the 20-year-old was admitted, she had serious injuries on head, a sign that she had been beaten.
“Fortunately, she did not suffer internal injuries. We have treated the injuries and has responded to treatment very well although sometimes gives different accounts of what happened to her but we are positive that ...she will fully recover her memory and give more information,” she said.
Her five months pregnancy remains safe – at least from the scan copies that the nurses showed this reporter.
Ms Mariam Nakalema, a patient in the ward, says when the victim gained consciousness, she gave her a telephone number she claimed belonged to the man that abused her but when they called, the man on the end of the line asked whether the girl was dead.
“When I told him that she was admitted in the hospital he hang up. He has not answered our calls since then,” she said.
Our attempts to get a comment from the said man did not yield any fruits as the mobile number given to us has been switched off for three days.
The victim is yet to press charges. She is being taken care of by good samaritans since she currently has no known relatives.