National

Works Ministry ready to desilt River Nyamwamba

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By Online Reporter

Posted  Tuesday, June 24  2014 at  14:49

In Summary

Eight people, including a former Kasese district procurement and disposal officer, Mr Paddy Karusu, were killed during the May 2013 floods that burst the river. One year on, it has been déjà vu, with the forces of nature striking once again in the same spot

SHARE THIS STORY

Plans to de-silt River Nyamwamba in Kasese district have been finalized. This has been revealed by the works state minister Eng. John Byabagambi who says they are currently designing an implementation plan.
This follows an outcry from the residents of Kasese over recent fresh flash floods that left atleast two schools closed and several roads impassable.
River Nyamwamba burst its banks first in May last year and then in April this year displacing hundreds of people.
The Assistant Chief Administrative Officer (ACAO), Mr Wilson Asaaba, said another excavator working on Mubuku Irrigation Scheme would be deployed to de-silt and redirect the river.
The river has since last year shifted from its original course during floods, consequently destroying public and domestic infrastructure along the river valley.
Meanwhile Kasese pupils have been given a ray of hope, following an assurance from the Ministry of Education that the schools will soon be opened.
Over 2,000 pupils from Kyanzuki, Bulembia, Katiri and Road Barrier primary schools, were forced to go back home as the water volumes in the river rose and advanced towards the schools.
Education Minister, Ms Jessica Alupo says the inter-ministerial committee is urgently handling the matter and will soon come up with a solution.
Eight people, including a former Kasese district procurement and disposal officer, Mr Paddy Karusu, were killed during the May 2013 floods that burst the river. One year on, it has been déjà vu, with the forces of nature striking once again in the same spot.