Tuesday June 10 2014

28 killed in Pakistan airport attack

Pakistani troops arrive to take position at the Karachi Airport terminal

Pakistani troops arrive to take position at the Karachi Airport terminal after the militants’ assault in Karachi on Sunday. PHOTO BY AFP 

Karachi- Twenty-eight people were killed as Pakistan’s military fought an all-night battle yesterday with Taliban gunmen who besieged Karachi airport armed with rocket launchers and suicide vests, leaving a nascent peace process in tatters.

Ten militants were among the dead, officials said, as Pakistan’s biggest city witnessed a return of the kind of spectacular offensive waged before by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) during an insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives.

The attack at Karachi’s Jinnah International Airport began just before midnight Sunday and around dawn, the military said all 10 attackers had been killed.

Some of the gunmen were dressed in army uniform, as authorities put their mangled bodies, assault rifles, grenades and rocket launchers on display for the press.

At least three blew up their suicide vests, witnesses said, and one head on display was decapitated.

But after authorities initially declared the airport cleared around dawn, there was fresh gunfire break out inside the airport where explosions and fires had erupted during the night, prompting security forces to relaunch the operation.

“The attack is over and we have cleared the area of all militants,” a spokesman for the paramilitary Rangers, Sibtain Rizvi, told reporters later after nearly 12 hours of fighting in all.

The bodies of the 18 victims of the Taliban assault, including eleven airport security guards and four workers from Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) were taken to a Karachi hospital where another 26 wounded people were being treated, a hospital official said.

After the siege, some 50 Civil Aviation Authority and PIA employees who had been trapped inside the building all night were seen leaving.

PIA spokesman Mashud Tajwar said no airline passengers were caught up in the incident.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s office meanwhile, issued a statement “commending the bravery” of security forces and saying normal flight operations would resume in the afternoon.