World

Ghana opposition candidate not ready to concede

Share Bookmark Print Rating
By AFP

Posted  Tuesday, December 11  2012 at  09:55
SHARE THIS STORY

"I wish to welcome my fellow candidates to join me now as partners in ... creating a better Ghana," he said, after previously calling on his rivals to respect "the voice of the people".

The opposition however issued a scathing statement even before the official results were announced.

"Indeed, we have enough concrete evidence to show that the 2012 presidential election was won by our candidate, Nana Akufo-Addo," it said, alleging a "pattern of fraud".

In the wake of the opposition claims and before the results were announced Sunday, a crowd of about 300 NPP supporters had gathered near the electoral commission. Security forces fired tear gas at one point in an apparent bid to move them back.

The 54-year-old Mahama, previously vice president, has only been head of state since July, following the death of his predecessor John Atta Mills.

Elections since the return to civilian rule in 1992 have seen both parties voted out of office, establishing Ghana's democratic credentials in a region that has had its share of rigged polls and coups.

Ghana is also a top exporter of cocoa and gold, with economic growth of 14 percent in 2011. Eight percent growth is expected this year and next in the country of some 24 million people.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com

« Previous Page 1 | 2

Orange Uganda

President Museveni on four-day state visit to Russia

UYD activists arrested over Museveni’s "birthday party"

Policemen standing across the road watching over the democratic party headquarters on City house

The oil Drama

President Museveni in Nairobi to attend the 14th EAC Summit