World
Lawmakers, experts slam US policy in DR Congo
Posted Wednesday, December 12 2012 at 14:53
In Summary
Talks in the Ugandan capital between Congolese rebels and the Kinshasa government opened late Sunday, in the latest bid to end the conflict that has forced hundreds of thousands of people in North Kivu province from their homes.
"Sanctions would go a long way to ensuring the problem is understood as a Rwandan-orchestrated problem," insisted Steve Hege, a former member of the UN panel of experts on DR Congo, explaining that confidential lists of individuals had already been submitted to the UN Security Council Sanctions Committee.
Hege added that Rwanda's backing of the rebels was "a determined and calculated drive to spawn the creation of an autonomous federal state for the eastern Congo."
Talks in the Ugandan capital between Congolese rebels and the Kinshasa government opened late Sunday, in the latest bid to end the conflict that has forced hundreds of thousands of people in North Kivu province from their homes.
But they faltered on the second day Monday after rebels shunned the meetings over officials' outrage at their accusations.
Prendergast said there was a "clash of two visions." The US administration is pressing for all neighbors to help resolve the conflict and as such sanctions would prove counter-productive.
"The alternative belief... is that we utilize these punitive measures that will provide leverage for a solution," said Prendergast. "But it's not going to happen unless we get US leadership."



RSS