World
Nigeria’s Goodluck declares emergency in states
A grab made on May 13, 2013 from a video distributed to reporters in Nigeria's north by purported intermediaries of the Nigerian Islamist group linked to Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, shows the suspected leader of the Nigerian Islamist group linked to Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, Imam Abu Muhammad Ibn Muhammad Abubakar Ash Shekawi, also known as Abubakar Shekau, speaking at an undisclosed location in Nigeria. AFP PHOTO
Posted Wednesday, May 15 2013 at 10:42
In Summary
The military will take "all necessary action" to "put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists" in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe, he said.
The president has the power to sack local politicians and install a caretaker government in emergency circumstances.
"Already, some northern parts of Borno state have been taken over by groups whose allegiance are to different flags than Nigeria's," he said.
Later, a spokesman for the president, Doyin Okupi, said the governors of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa had been "very well briefed" and were "in full support" of the decision to declare a state of emergency.
"There's need for the government to step in and do the necessary to once and for all find a way out of this quagmire," he told the BBC.
On Monday, the Nigeria Governors' Forum, which represents the leaders of the country's 36 states, warned Mr Jonathan against imposing emergency rule.
The BBC's Will Ross in Lagos says it is not the first time that the president has declared a state of emergency, but this is a clear admission that far from being weakened by the army offensive, the threat of the Islamist militants is growing.
Last week, Mr Jonathan had to cut short a trip to South Africa to deal with the growing violence.
BBC



RSS